Amit Shah to begin UP innings from June 12
Lucknow: Amit Shah, a close aide of Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi and national general secretary of the BJP, will begin his innings as party in-charge of Uttar Pradesh June 12.
Sources in the Bharatiya Janata Party state unit here said the controversial former Gujarat minister would be taking part in a meeting of office bearers at the Lucknow headquarters to "feel the pulse of the party".
As part of his daylong engagements here, Shah would interact with grassroots workers and hold deliberations with the top brass of the party, including state president Laxmikant Bajpayi.
Shah`s visit assumes significance as it would be days after the BJP`s national executive in Goa June 7-9. Important decisions about the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections of 2014 are likely to be taken in Goa.
State BJP spokesperson Vijay Bahadur Pathak told a news agency that Shah would be engaged in meetings that would have significance for the state organisation of the party.
"The June 12 meeting will be a high-level one, involving regional presidents, general secretaries and state presidents of all wings, and is likely to strategise on many things, including the Lok Sabha polls," Pathak said.
Observers say Shah could be a polarising factor in Uttar Pradesh, where the BJP positions itself as the principal opposition and attempts to corner the Akhilesh Yadav government on issues like power tariff hike and appeasement of minorities.
Shah was Gujarat home minister at the time of the killing of Sohrabuddin Sheikh in a staged shootout on Nov 26, 2005. He is an accused in the case and is out on bail.
The Supreme Court had barred him from entering Gujarat since he could influence proceedings in the case; that bar was lifted after the case was shifted from Gujarat to Mumbai last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India