AMU court shortlists three names for new VC
Aligarh (UP): The Aligarh Muslim University Court, the highest governing body of the university, has shortlisted three names for appointing the next Vice-Chancellor.
The three shortlisted candidates for the vice-chancellor post are Lt Gen (Retd) Zameeruddin Shah, former secretary Government of India, Noor Mohammad and retired IPS officer from the UP cadre, Khalid Rizvi.
The three names will be forwarded to President Pratibha Patil in her capacity as the Visitor of the University for the final decision.
The AMU Court at its special meeting, which concluded yesterday evening, took this decision on the basis of a vote count.
While Lt Gen (Retd) Shah, who attended the meeting, secured 97 votes out of 118 members, Noor Mohammad secured 85 votes while Rizvi obtained 83 votes.
The meeting was presided over by former Vice Chancellor Mahmoodur Rahman.
Lt Gen Shah is an alumnus of the St Joseph`s College, Nainital and earned his M Sc degree in Defence Studies and Management from the Madras University in 1980. He is a recipient of the Param Vishisht Seva Medal.
Noor Mohammad retired from IAS in 2011 and has held the post of Secretary, National Disaster Management Authority.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to UNSC for 2017-18
- Sturgeon to visit Brussels to defend Scotland`s EU place
- NATO, EU leaders pledge strong alliance to counter Brexit fallout
- EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 'Beef smugglers' forced to eat cow dung in Faridabad