AMU finance officer suspended
Aligarh: Aligarh Muslim University`s finance officer has been suspended after a confidential report by CBI, probing allegations of financial irregularities against top university officials, indicted her.
"Yasmin Jalal Beg was suspended last night at a meeting of the University Executive Council on the basis of a confidential report by CBI, which was probing allegations of financial irregularities during the tenure of Prof P K Abdul Azis as Vice Chancellor," AMU Pro Vice-Chancellor Brig Syed Ahamd Ali told reporters.
The suspension order of the Finance Officer states that during the period of her suspension, she cannot leave Aligarh without seeking prior permission of the Vice Chancellor, university sources said.
CBI recently submitted its report to the university authorities, they said.
It may be mentioned that in March 2009, eight members of the University Executive Council, including former MP Wasim Ahmad, lawyer Zafaryab Jilani and Prof Mansoor Hasan had approached then President Pratibha Patil demanding a high- level probe into the allegations.
There were allegations of financial irregularities against the then Vice Chancellor, Prof P K Abdul Azis, the then Registrar, Prof V K Abdul Jalil and Beg. A two-member inquiry committee was set up on the advice of the then President.
The Executive Council later sought a CBI inquiry into the matter, which was subsequently ordered in 2011.
The tenure of Azis ended on January 16 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price