AMU likely to reopen on December 1
Aligarh: The Aligarh Muslim University,
which was closed sine die on October 30 following protests by
students over the murder of an undergraduate by a local goon,
is likely to "reopen" on December 1.
"The varsity is likely to reopen on December 1. A formal
announcement pertaining to the reopening schedule would be
made on Monday next," Vice Chancellor P K Abdul Aziz told agency.
Aziz, who is presently in New Delhi, had met Union HRD
Minister Kapil Sibbal on the issue.
The VC said, "I am hopeful that we will be able to reach
an amicable settlement with the protesting teachers and
students at Jantar Mantar in New Delhi."
The students and teachers are holding dharna at Jantar
Mantar in protest against the AMU administration`s decision to
close the university indefinitely. Terming the move as
"autocratic", they are demanding immediate restoration of
academic activities in the campus and restoration of students`
Meanwhile, AMU Teachers Association (AMUTA) secretary
Jamshed Siddiqui said, "We support any move to reopen the
university at the earliest. At the same time there will be no
compromise on the issue of the withdrawal of the suspension
orders against three teachers who have been wrongly punished."
It is equally important that the democratic right to
voice students` grievances on a suitable platform should
immediately be restored, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note