AMU professor accused of sexual harassment suspended
Aligarh: Aligarh Muslim University has suspended a senior law professor, after a first year student filed a sexual harassment complaint against him.
Professor Mohammad Shabbir, who ironically teaches criminal law and gender justice and is the Chairman of Law Department, was suspended by a committee formed by the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) after the complaint surfaced.
The complainant hails from Kashmir.
AMU`s Registrar, Group Captain (retired) Shahrukh Shamshad, said, "This case is about misconduct. We have sent the girl, who claims to have been sexually harassed by a senior law professor, to the women`s cell. A committee of the women`s cell studied the case and the complainant was also heard. A preliminary inquiry was conducted on the basis of which the professor was suspended."
Shamshad also said that a detailed inquiry has been ordered into the matter.
Media reports indicate that the professor was suspended eight years ago on charges of sexual harassment by a US-based university student who was on an exchange programme that time.
The girl filed a complaint with the US embassy; however, after four months of inquiry the professor was let off.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list