AMU professor booked, suspended over sexual harassment
Aligarh: A professor in Law department of the Aligarh Muslim University has been booked and placed under suspension after a complaint of sexual harassment by a student.
Muhammad Shabbir, who is the chairman of department of Law in the University, was suspended yesterday.
Late last evening, the father of the girl lodged a case at Civil Lines Police station against the professor under relevant sections of the IPC, police said.
On December 3, the girl, studying LLM, had filed a complaint alleging that the professor had indulged in sexual harassment when she met him in connection with a project report, AMU spokesman Rahat Abrar said.
The university authorities immediately referred the matter to the Women Complaint Cell and after preliminary inquiry the cell submitted its report yesterday.
Acting on the report, which found charges of the girl "prima facie correct", the authorities suspended the teacher.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video