AMU professor booked, suspended over sexual harassment
Aligarh: A professor in Law department of the Aligarh Muslim University has been booked and placed under suspension after a complaint of sexual harassment by a student.
Muhammad Shabbir, who is the chairman of department of Law in the University, was suspended yesterday.
Late last evening, the father of the girl lodged a case at Civil Lines Police station against the professor under relevant sections of the IPC, police said.
On December 3, the girl, studying LLM, had filed a complaint alleging that the professor had indulged in sexual harassment when she met him in connection with a project report, AMU spokesman Rahat Abrar said.
The university authorities immediately referred the matter to the Women Complaint Cell and after preliminary inquiry the cell submitted its report yesterday.
Acting on the report, which found charges of the girl "prima facie correct", the authorities suspended the teacher.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter