AMU professor booked, suspended over sexual harassment
Aligarh: A professor in Law department of the Aligarh Muslim University has been booked and placed under suspension after a complaint of sexual harassment by a student.
Muhammad Shabbir, who is the chairman of department of Law in the University, was suspended yesterday.
Late last evening, the father of the girl lodged a case at Civil Lines Police station against the professor under relevant sections of the IPC, police said.
On December 3, the girl, studying LLM, had filed a complaint alleging that the professor had indulged in sexual harassment when she met him in connection with a project report, AMU spokesman Rahat Abrar said.
The university authorities immediately referred the matter to the Women Complaint Cell and after preliminary inquiry the cell submitted its report yesterday.
Acting on the report, which found charges of the girl "prima facie correct", the authorities suspended the teacher.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indians face public wrath in Congo after Congolese national bludgeoned to death in Delhi; govt rejects racism claims
- Trump denounces illegal immigrants as tensions flare
- Regardless of N-deal, primary American embargo on Iran to stay: US Treasury Department
- UK PM Cameron says EU referendum turnout is greatest concern for 'In'
- US states sue White House over transgender bathroom use