AMU professor suspended for objectionable post on Facebook
Aligarh: An associate professor of Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) was Wednesday suspended by the vice chancellor for allegedly using objectionable language against him on social networking site Facebook.
"There is a prima facie case of gross misconduct against Dr Syed Ali Nadeem Rezavi, Associate Professor in the Department of History at AMU," the suspension order issued by the Registrar, Group Captain (Retd) Shahrukh Shamshad stated today.
The order further stated, "This decision has been taken on the basis of the recommendation of a special meeting of the Executive Council held on July 22, which had unanimously authorised Vice Chancellor Lt Gen (Retd) Zameer Uddin Shah to take disciplinary action against Dr Rezavi".
The suspended teacher has also been ordered "not to leave Aligarh without obtaining prior permission of the vice chancellor during the enquiry".
"We are holding a meeting of the executive of Aligarh Muslim University Teachers` Association (AMUTA) tomorrow to take stock of the situation. Till this meeting is held, I am not going to make any comment on the incident", AMUTA Secretary, Dr Aftab Alam told PTI.
A senior faculty member on the condition of anonymity labelled the move as "an over-reaction".
"It appears that the language posted on Facebook, which was meant for private circulation, can be described as inappropriate. However, the action taken by the University authorities appears to be an over-reaction. It did not warrant such strong punitive measure," the faculty member told PTI.
Dr Rezavi told media that he would be approaching the Allahabad High Court to "seek justice". He also alleged that on July 21, he was called to the vice chancellor`s office and had been "humiliated".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- New Zealand's Queenstown Airport evacuated after 'bomb message' found on plane
- SHOCKING! Star wrestler Narsingh Yadav fails dope test, Rio participation doubtful
- What Diljit Dosanjh said about 'Phillauri' co-star Anushka Sharma will melt your heart! - Read here
- DDA's next housing scheme could be completely online
- Now tune into popular FM radio stations on trains with Rail Radio Service