AMU professor suspended for objectionable post on Facebook
Aligarh: An associate professor of Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) was Wednesday suspended by the vice chancellor for allegedly using objectionable language against him on social networking site Facebook.
"There is a prima facie case of gross misconduct against Dr Syed Ali Nadeem Rezavi, Associate Professor in the Department of History at AMU," the suspension order issued by the Registrar, Group Captain (Retd) Shahrukh Shamshad stated today.
The order further stated, "This decision has been taken on the basis of the recommendation of a special meeting of the Executive Council held on July 22, which had unanimously authorised Vice Chancellor Lt Gen (Retd) Zameer Uddin Shah to take disciplinary action against Dr Rezavi".
The suspended teacher has also been ordered "not to leave Aligarh without obtaining prior permission of the vice chancellor during the enquiry".
"We are holding a meeting of the executive of Aligarh Muslim University Teachers` Association (AMUTA) tomorrow to take stock of the situation. Till this meeting is held, I am not going to make any comment on the incident", AMUTA Secretary, Dr Aftab Alam told PTI.
A senior faculty member on the condition of anonymity labelled the move as "an over-reaction".
"It appears that the language posted on Facebook, which was meant for private circulation, can be described as inappropriate. However, the action taken by the University authorities appears to be an over-reaction. It did not warrant such strong punitive measure," the faculty member told PTI.
Dr Rezavi told media that he would be approaching the Allahabad High Court to "seek justice". He also alleged that on July 21, he was called to the vice chancellor`s office and had been "humiliated".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town