AMU reopens in phased manner
Aligarh: Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), which was closed following clashes between two rival groups of students on April 30, Friday reopened.
The university has been reopened in a phased manner with only final year students of different faculties given hostel facilities on the first day, the university sources
Halls of residence for pre-final and second semester students will be available from May 21.
However, even after the reopening, there is no sign of the ongoing tussle between the Teachers` Association and the Vice Chancellor ending over the teachers` demand for the resignation of University Proctor Mujahid Beg.
Holding the Proctor accountable for the violent incidents, the Teachers` Association has started indefinite relay hunger strike from yesterday.
"We have withdrawn our threat to boycott examination duties in the interest of the institution but we are not prepared to dilute our demand over the decision of the
Proctor`s resignation," Teachers` Association secretary, Mustafa Zaidi told reporters.
He alleged that despite their attempts, the VC was not meeting them.
Vice Chancellor Prof Abduil Azis, however, said that he was out of the town for two days and was unable to establish communication with the Teachers` Association after his return.
"I plan to invite the teachers on Sunday for talks after the crucial entrance test for engineering students is over on Saturday evening," the VC said.
Meanwhile, the university spokesman today announced that all arrangements for the engineering college admission test scheduled for tomorrow are in place.
More than 32 thousand students are slated to appear in the test being conducted at Aligarh, Bhopal, Hyderabad, Kolkata, Srinagar, Calicut and Lucknow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH