AMU students continue indefinite stir
Aligarh: Students of Aligarh Muslim University on Wednesday threatened to intensify their stir if their "democratic rights" are not restored.
The students, numbering around one hundred, have been staging an "indefinite dharna" at the University premises since yesterday, demanding more rights as well as removal of some top University officials who they allege were "crushing" their democratic rights.
Mushtaq Ahmad, a spokesman of the agitators, told newspersons today that the students are demanding immediate revival of the Students` Union which has been defunct for more than four years.
He said the students are also demanding the removal of some top university officials who were allegedly responsible for enforcing "draconian measures" at the campus.
"Since the past two years any student who tried to raise his voice was rusticated," the spokesman alleged. He said that some student leaders from New Delhi, including former students of AMU, have decided to extend full support to them for their demands.
Earlier yesterday evening AMU Vice Chancellor Professor PK Abdul Azis had a meeting with senior university officials to review the situation.
AMU spokesman Rahat Abrar said "The University was prepared to review the genuine demands of the protestors, but despite all efforts the agitators have not responded to any initiative."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'