AMU students` union election results declared
Aligarh: Syed Sharique Ahmad, a BA (final year) student, has been elected president of the Aligarh Muslim University Students Union (AMUSU), an official said on Sunday.
Abdul Quadir Jilani, MA (first year) was declared vice president and Hamad Nabi (Master of Social Work, first year) honorary secretary of the students` union.
The result of the Students` Union elections, held Saturday, were declared by the chief election officer, Prof Mahmood S Khan.
AMUSU was established in 1884 as a debating club on the pattern of Oxford and Cambridge Universities and this students` body has produced great freedom fighters, leaders and statesmen like Dr Zakir Husain, the Ali Brothers, Hasrat Mohani, and Sheikh Abdullah.
AMU Vice Chancellor PK Abdul Azis congratulated the victorious and contesting candidates and students at large for displaying restraint and bringing into successful culmination the entire process of Students` Union election in a peaceful manner.
The election of the AMU Students` Union was held as per the recommendations of the Lyngdoh Committee headed by former chief election commissioner JM Lyngdoh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'