AMU teachers` agitation receives support from unions
Aligarh: The ongoing teachers` agitation
at the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) for "immediate
reopening" of the institution today received support from
other unions in the campus.
The AMU Students` Union which had not taken any stand
on the issue till yesterday came in support of the teachers`
move and put up a camp beside the agitating teachers here.
Although the president of the AMU teachers association
Abdul Qaiyyum claimed the support of the non-teaching staff
association, thay have yet to make an announcement in this
Qaiyyum while addressing a press conference today said
that a consultative meeting of the teachers` body was also
held today, welcoming the move of other unions joining them.
He said that a General Body meeting of the teachers
would meet tomorrow to decide on the key issue of "boycotting
all invigilation duties by teachers for different entrance
exams to the University scheduled for this month".
Qaiyyum said that the boycott issue can have "serious
ramifications for the University`s entrance process for the
year and the teachers would resort to an extreme step if the
Vice Chancellor remained adamant on his decision not to reopen
the University at the earliest".
He said that a delegation from AMU would be leaving
for New Delhi on Friday to apprise the Central Government of
the growing crisis in the institution and stressed that the
Central Government could no longer afford remaining a mute
spectator to the present crisis at AMU.
Meanwhile, the Secretary of the AMU Teachers`
Association, Mustafa Zaidi has charged a section of the
University administration with orchestrating Friday`s
students` clash at the campus and demanded a thorough probe
"Last week`s clash of two regional groups of students
was a proxy battle stage managed by a section of University
administration for capturing the coveted post of the
Controller of Admissions and Examinations," Zaidi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir