AMU teachers` agitation receives support from unions
Aligarh: The ongoing teachers` agitation
at the Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) for "immediate
reopening" of the institution today received support from
other unions in the campus.
The AMU Students` Union which had not taken any stand
on the issue till yesterday came in support of the teachers`
move and put up a camp beside the agitating teachers here.
Although the president of the AMU teachers association
Abdul Qaiyyum claimed the support of the non-teaching staff
association, thay have yet to make an announcement in this
Qaiyyum while addressing a press conference today said
that a consultative meeting of the teachers` body was also
held today, welcoming the move of other unions joining them.
He said that a General Body meeting of the teachers
would meet tomorrow to decide on the key issue of "boycotting
all invigilation duties by teachers for different entrance
exams to the University scheduled for this month".
Qaiyyum said that the boycott issue can have "serious
ramifications for the University`s entrance process for the
year and the teachers would resort to an extreme step if the
Vice Chancellor remained adamant on his decision not to reopen
the University at the earliest".
He said that a delegation from AMU would be leaving
for New Delhi on Friday to apprise the Central Government of
the growing crisis in the institution and stressed that the
Central Government could no longer afford remaining a mute
spectator to the present crisis at AMU.
Meanwhile, the Secretary of the AMU Teachers`
Association, Mustafa Zaidi has charged a section of the
University administration with orchestrating Friday`s
students` clash at the campus and demanded a thorough probe
"Last week`s clash of two regional groups of students
was a proxy battle stage managed by a section of University
administration for capturing the coveted post of the
Controller of Admissions and Examinations," Zaidi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?