AMU Teachers` Association intensifies stir against VC, Proctor
Aligarh: The Aligarh Muslim University Teachers` Association (AMUTA) on Monday intensified its ongoing stir to oust vice chancellor PK Abdul Azis and the University Proctor Mujahid Beg.
"The relay hunger strike which has been going on for the past five days will now be turned into an indefinite hunger strike," secretary of the AMUTA Mustafa Zaidi told reporters here.
Zaidi said two teachers under the banner of the AMU Anti-corruption Forum would begin their indefinite hunger strike later today.
AMUTA secretary said the talks between protesting teachers and Azis did not take place today "because of the refusal of the Vice Chancellor to hold a dialogue with members of the Teachers` Action Committee."
However, spokesman of the University said: "the Vice Chancellor had agreed to meet the office bearers of the Teachers` Association and the insistence of the teachers to include what they described as the Members of an action committee in the talks derailed the dialogue process."
The main demand of the teachers centres around the removal of the University Proctor whom they hold responsible for last month`s violence and the issue of providing hostel facilities to all students who have started reaching the campus following the announcement of the phased reopening of the University.
Earlier this afternoon, leaders of the AMU Research Scholar Association held a demonstration demanding that hostel should be reopened for them immediately. The University authorities have, however, refused to concede this demand and are insisting that research scholars will only be allowed entry into the hostels after May 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!