AMU to have low-key Founder`s Day celebrations
Aligarh: The Founder`s Day celebrations at the Aligarh Muslim University on October 17 would be a low-key affair this year as a mark of solidarity with the families of Muzaffarnagar riots victims.
According to a university official, the traditional Sir Syed Day dinner which is held on that day has been cancelled at the insistence of students.
More than twenty thousand students, who normally attend this dinner, have decided to send the funds of this contributory dinner to the riot victims.
The AMU Teachers` Association has also announced that teachers would be contributing one day basic salary for the riot victims.
A university spokesman confirmed that commemorative meeting on the Sir Syed Day would, however, be held as usual on October 17 at the Kennedy Auditorium.
Uttar Pradesh Governor B L Joshi would be the chief guest on this occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy