AMU VC charged of using pressure tactics
Aligarh: Senior teacher and convener of Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) Anti Corruption Forum MR Shervani on Thursday charged its Vice Chancellor PK Abdul Azis of using pressure tactics to break teachers` hunger strike.
Shervani, who is on an indefinite hunger strike from May 16 in support of the Teachers` Association demand for removal of the VC and Proctor, has written to the SSP seeking adequate security for agitating teachers.
On May 17 some unidentified persons tried to intimidate the protesting teachers, he alleged adding that the VC was using pressure tactics to end the teachers` agitation.
Both the Teachers` Association and Students` Union are on hunger strike demanding the removal of the vice chancellor.
Secretary of Teachers` Association M Zaidi said that they fear the VC would not hesitate to use unfair methods to break their agitation.
Meanwhile, the VC has reiterated that the Teachers` Anti-Corruption Forum was an illegal body and was trying to disturb campus peace and derail examinations.
"We will not allow anyone to hold the campus to ransom," the VC said.
The AMU Teachers` Association has dubbed the VC`s move for instituting a judicial inquiry into the last month`s campus violence as an `eyewash` designed to buy time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal