AMU VC expels 20 students
Aligarh: Vice Chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), Lt Gen (Retired) Zameer Uddin Shah has expelled 20 students of the Zakir Husain College of Engineering and Technology for having secured admission to B Tech course last year through "fraudulent means".
AMU spokesman, Dr Rahat Abrar, on Wednesday said that cases of forgery against all the 20 students have been filed at the Civil Lines Police Station.
All these students had been studying since the past one year. The "alleged fraud" was only detected this year following the introduction of "computerised biometric techniques" for verifying the authenticity of all such applicants who appeared in the entrance test conducted by the University.
According to AMU sources, reports had been circulating since the past one year regarding the existence of a "well organised" racket through which applicants were committing fraud using "impersonators" for appearing in the admission tests.
It was only in May this year that the new administration at the AMU ordered an investigation into last year`s admission records.
Police investigations had in May last led to the arrest of one person from Lucknow, who was said to be the "mastermind" of this organised racket. This was in connection with malpractices in this year`s admission test. The detection of fraudulent procedures in four cases in this year`s admission test led to a deeper probe into last year`s admissions also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29