AMU VC orders hostel search to seize fire arms
Aligarh: Amidst allegations of Aligarh Muslim
University students stocking fire arms in some hostels, its
Vice Chancellor PK Abdul Azis on Thursday ordered a search to seize
any such material.
"In view of official reports that warring student groups
have stored fire arms in some hostels, the university
authorities will carry out extensive search in hostels to
seize any such material," Azis said in a statement here.
The Proctor has been authorised to complete the operation
within the next three days, he said.
Proctor Beg Mujahid Beg in a press conference on May 2
had alleged that some hostels were being used by students for
stocking fire arms. Condemning the statement, AMU Teachers`
Association had passed a resolution describing the remark as
"irresponsible, baseless and defamatory".
Reacting strongly to the VC`s statement, the Teacher`s
Association secretary Mustafa Zaidi said the issue of illicit
arms in hostels was being racked up to justify the closure of
AMU was shut down indefinitely on Saturday following
clashes between two groups of students that left 12 of them
injured. The teachers are on an indefinite dharna against the
However, the VC said the agitating teachers and students
are in fact vitiating the peaceful atmosphere with the sole
purpose of de-stabilising the university administration.
The VC said those who are trying to disturb the campus
peace "will soon be exposed".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers