AMU VC recommends judicial inquiry into campus violence
Aligarh: Aligarh Muslim University Vice
Chancellor PK Abdul Azis on Wednesday recommended a judicial inquiry
into last month`s campus violence following which the varsity
was closed for nearly a fortnight.
In a statement, Azis said his move of instituting the
inquiry would have to be ratified at the next meeting of the
University`s Executive Council.
The Vice Chancellor also granted permission to a
number of final year students, who had been suspended in
connection with the last month`s violence, to appear in the
annual examination, which commenced from today.
The permission, pending enquiry, has been given on
"compassionate grounds". 38 students were suspended in
connection with the April 29 violence.
Describing the activities of AMU teachers operating on
the platform of the AMU Anti Corruption Forum as "illegal" and
against the code of conduct of teachers, Azis accused them of
trying to disturb the atmosphere of the campus.
The Forum has launched an indefinite hunger strike
from May 16 demanding the removal of the Vice Chancellor and
release of the interim report by two former judges of the High
Court into the alleged financial bungling by some senior
AMU Teachers` Association is also holding a relay
hunger strike since the past one week demanding removal of the
VC and Proctor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation