AMU VC recommends judicial inquiry into campus violence
Aligarh: Aligarh Muslim University Vice
Chancellor PK Abdul Azis on Wednesday recommended a judicial inquiry
into last month`s campus violence following which the varsity
was closed for nearly a fortnight.
In a statement, Azis said his move of instituting the
inquiry would have to be ratified at the next meeting of the
University`s Executive Council.
The Vice Chancellor also granted permission to a
number of final year students, who had been suspended in
connection with the last month`s violence, to appear in the
annual examination, which commenced from today.
The permission, pending enquiry, has been given on
"compassionate grounds". 38 students were suspended in
connection with the April 29 violence.
Describing the activities of AMU teachers operating on
the platform of the AMU Anti Corruption Forum as "illegal" and
against the code of conduct of teachers, Azis accused them of
trying to disturb the atmosphere of the campus.
The Forum has launched an indefinite hunger strike
from May 16 demanding the removal of the Vice Chancellor and
release of the interim report by two former judges of the High
Court into the alleged financial bungling by some senior
AMU Teachers` Association is also holding a relay
hunger strike since the past one week demanding removal of the
VC and Proctor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway