Anger in the country has to be brought down: Rahul Gandhi
Amethi: Citing the example of Punjab where peace was restored after a long period of militancy, Rahul Gandhi on Thursday said there was a "lot of anger" in India which should be brought down and the country should move forward by taking all sections along.
"India is a thought...Youths make it, you make it. We have to include everyone and move forward," the Congress leader said here as he praised paramilitary force CPRF`s efforts to restore peace in restive areas of the country.
He spoke of how a Khalistan supporter, also an MLA, joined political mainstream in Punjab after peace was restored in the once militancy-wrecked state.
Addressing a function on the occasion of foundation laying ceremony of CRPF training centre at Trishundi, the Congress Vice President said that due to peace in the presence of CRPF and "Congress, Akali giving him a place in the political system", the Khalistan supporter`s anger came down and he joined political mainstream.
"There is a lot of anger in the country. It has to be brought down" as was done in Punjab, Gandhi said.
The Congress leader said that CRPF played an important role in bringing normalcy in Punjab.
He regretted that only 30-40 per cent CRPF personnel get housing facility and added that jawans say that they were not afraid of fighting for the country, but of the hardships to their families.
Rahul said that jawans of this force were fighting on two fronts - "terrorists and for their family".
"I want to tell Shindeji that whatever can be done for the families of the jawans, should be done," he said.
Kanchan, wife of CRPF jawan Rajiv Kumar Yadav, and Savitri Devi, wife of Vinod Kumar Yadav, who were killed in Naxal attack in Chhattisgarh in April 2010, were also honoured on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees