Another 36 IAS officers transferred in UP, CM pulls up officials
Lucknow: In another major shakeup of the state`s bureaucracy in four days, the Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday transferred 36 IAS officers including district magistrates after a review of the law and order situation by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Anil Kumar Gupta, who was shifted from the post of Principal Secretary (Home) on June 2, after the state government came under fire over the Badaun gang-rape and murder of two teenage cousin sisters, has got the less important post of Member, UP Revenue Board.
A total of 66 IAS officers were shifted on Saturday last.
Facing flak over the law and order situation in the state, Yadav referred to the rape incidents in Badaun and Kannauj and said the district administration there should have taken "appropriate steps".
The chief minister held a meeting with top officials here and said the kind of work expected from the police and administration was "not being done".
Yadav said that it was the duty of divisional and district level officers that besides keeping a close watch on the development works they should work sincerely for maintaining law and order.
The chief minister assured the meeting that while hardworking and honest officers would be protected, stern action would be taken against lax and corrupt ones.
He said the local administration should not let the image of the state or the government be affected.
Yadav also warned that incidents like smuggling of cattle, illegal mining and atrocities against women must be stopped effectively.
Chief Secretary Alok Ranjan said law and order was the top priority of the government and directed that a policy of "zero tolerance" should be adopted in cases related to incidents against women.
Yadav called a meeting of all divisional commissioners, district magistrates, IGs, DIGs and district police chiefs, besides top government officials.
Bodies of two teenage Dailt girls aged 14 and 15, who went out of their house on May 27, were found hanging on a tree next morning after being allegedly gang-raped and murdered in Ushait area in Badaun district.
In Kannauj, a 14-year-old girl was allegedly raped on June 3 by her neighbour in Madharpur village, following which the accused youth was arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs