Another 36 IAS officers transferred in UP, CM pulls up officials
Lucknow: In another major shakeup of the state`s bureaucracy in four days, the Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday transferred 36 IAS officers including district magistrates after a review of the law and order situation by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.
Anil Kumar Gupta, who was shifted from the post of Principal Secretary (Home) on June 2, after the state government came under fire over the Badaun gang-rape and murder of two teenage cousin sisters, has got the less important post of Member, UP Revenue Board.
A total of 66 IAS officers were shifted on Saturday last.
Facing flak over the law and order situation in the state, Yadav referred to the rape incidents in Badaun and Kannauj and said the district administration there should have taken "appropriate steps".
The chief minister held a meeting with top officials here and said the kind of work expected from the police and administration was "not being done".
Yadav said that it was the duty of divisional and district level officers that besides keeping a close watch on the development works they should work sincerely for maintaining law and order.
The chief minister assured the meeting that while hardworking and honest officers would be protected, stern action would be taken against lax and corrupt ones.
He said the local administration should not let the image of the state or the government be affected.
Yadav also warned that incidents like smuggling of cattle, illegal mining and atrocities against women must be stopped effectively.
Chief Secretary Alok Ranjan said law and order was the top priority of the government and directed that a policy of "zero tolerance" should be adopted in cases related to incidents against women.
Yadav called a meeting of all divisional commissioners, district magistrates, IGs, DIGs and district police chiefs, besides top government officials.
Bodies of two teenage Dailt girls aged 14 and 15, who went out of their house on May 27, were found hanging on a tree next morning after being allegedly gang-raped and murdered in Ushait area in Badaun district.
In Kannauj, a 14-year-old girl was allegedly raped on June 3 by her neighbour in Madharpur village, following which the accused youth was arrested.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?