Another BJP leader shot dead in UP, this time in Muzaffarnagar
Zee Media Bureau/ Neha Attre
Lucknow: Barely days after Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Vijay Pandit was shot dead in Greater Noida, another local party leader Omveer Singh was shot dead in Muzaffarnagar on Tuesday.
The 40-year-old victim was on his way to Meerapur village when he was shot dead by two gunmen on motorcycle.
He also made an unsuccessful attempt to retaliate with his licensed revolver.
Soon after shooting Singh, the gunmen fled the spot with his licensed revolver.
A retired Army official, Singh was the vice president of BJP`s Panchayat Prakoshth.
Police is now investigating the case and looking for motive behind the murder of the BJP leader.
Demanding immediate arrest of the murderers, state BJP spokesman Vijay Bahadur Pathak targeted the Samajwadi Party government in the state and reportedly alleged, "The phase of political killings has started in UP, which is dangerous."
Police have been deployed in the area to maintain law and order after the incident.
The shocking murder took place four days after Pandit was shot dead by motorcycle-borne gunmen while he was returning home.
Pandit`s wife Geeta had blamed the ruling Samajwadi Party leader Narinder Bhati for the murder of her husband.
She alleged that the murder took place at Bhati`s behest due to election rivalry.
However, Bhati has denied the allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police