Another Facebook post leads to protest in Meerut
Meerut: Close on the heels of a protest here by a community against an objectionable post on Facebook, another such incident has come to light raising ire of the community.
As a precautionary measure, heavy deployment of police has been made in sensitive areas of the city, police said.
A large crowd gathered at the house of a local religious leader and raised slogans after which police reached the spot and managed to pacify the agitators.
We will seek help from cyber experts to curb such instances of communal trouble and charge suspects under National Security Act, a police official said.
On June 19, members of the community pelted stones and damaged some shops protesting against an objectionable post on social-networking site Facebook.
Agitated over a photo posted on the site, the protesters had held demonstration outside the office of SP city at Ghantaghar area and also damaged some shops in the area, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof