Another UP minister under Lokayukta scanner
Lucknow: Another cabinet minister of the
Mayawati government has come under the scanner of the Uttar
Pradesh Lokayukta for alleged misuse of office.
"A complaint has been received against Energy Minister
Ramveer Upadhyaya on which a notice has been issued to him.
The Chief Minister has also been apprised," Lokayukta Justice
NK Mehrotra said.
He said that the minister has been given 10-day time to
submit his reply.
The move comes after a complaint was lodged by Samajwadi
Party`s Hathras district president Devendra Agarwal, who has
accused Upadhyaya of amassing wealth disproportionate to his
known sources of income, misusing his local area development
fund and land grabbing.
He has also enclosed a number of documents, including
details of properties in different districts of the state,
official sources said.
BJP had earlier lodged a complaint against Upadhyaya
relating to power purchase by the Uttar Pradesh Power
In response to the complaint, Upadhyaya had issued a
legal notice to BJP`s national secretary Kirit Somaiya
accusing him of levelling baseless charges with an intention
of maligning his image.
Currently, the Lokayukta is probing complaints relating
to misuse of office, land grabbing and disproportionate assets
against six ministers.
There are also complaints pending against 10 MLAs and
chairmen of six corporations, while Culture Minister Subhash
Pandey and BJP MLA Moti Singh have been absolved of charges.
Four ministers Rajesh Tripathi, Awadhpal Singh, Rangnath
Mishra and Badshah Singh have already been removed on the
basis of the Lokayukta`s report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video