Another UP official transferred over Ram temple letter
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government Tuesday removed RM Srivastava from the post of Principal Secretary (Home), days after two other officials of the home department were suspended over the controversial Ram temple letter issue.
Srivastava has been replaced by Anil Kumar Gupta, who was posted as member of the Revenue Board.
Earlier, Gupta had also served as the Industrial and Infrastructure Development Commissioner.
A source said that the decision was taken at the highest level as the government wanted to send a stern message to the bureaucracy that people ending up embarrassing the state government will not be spared.
Srivastava was handpicked at the time of the government formation March 2012 by Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.
Despite his apologies in front of the media, Srivastava paid for the goof up in which a letter issued by the home department spoke of a meeting to be held in Lucknow with police and administrative officials to discuss the "construction of the Ram temple in Ayodhya on the lines of the Somnath temple in Gujarat".
As the letter found its way to the media, the opposition pounced on the Samajwadi Party government and accused it of conniving with communal forces.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured