Anti-Mulayam remark: Congress top brass reprimands Beni Prasad
New Delhi: Union Minister Beni Prasad Verma, who created yet another row with his anti-Mulayam Singh Yadav remark, was on Wednesday reprimanded by the Congress leadership after which he expressed regret and promised not to repeat it again.
"Beni Prasad Verma regretted his remarks against Mulayam Singh Yadav and said such things would not be repeated. He was warned and told that this is not the Congress culture and that he should desist from making such statements," AICC General Secretary in-charge of Uttar Pradesh Madhusudan Mistry told reporters here.
He maintained that the Congress leadership has taken this issue very seriously.
Mistry had called Verma to his residence in the morning and conveyed to him the party`s displeasure over his remarks.
"The matter ends here," Mistry said.
Verma had said the Samajwadi Party supremo has ambitions of becoming the Prime Minister but he should "first try to get the job of a sweeper at the residence of the PM."
The latest remark come at a time when Congress is seeking to keep Samajwadi Party, a key outside supporter of the UPA government, in good humour.
Mistry downplayed SP leader Azam Khan`s remarks against him, saying one should desist from targeting individuals in politics.
Citing his own example, Mistry said he was a known detractor of Narendra Modi but has never made any personal comments against the Gujarat chief minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price