Anti-riot personnel deployed in Modinagar
Ghaziabad: Around 400 anti-riot police personnel were on Friday patrolling trouble-torn Modinagar area near here, a day after students went on a rampage to protest the death of a boy who was crushed by a speeding bus.
Personnel of the Rapid Action Force (RAF) and Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) were deployed while SSP (Ghaziabad) Raghubir Lal and other senior officers visited the affected areas to take stock of the situation.
The officers walked over five kms to inspect a burnt police post at Niwari road and vandalised hospitals and clinics.
Curfew was imposed last afternoon after violence erupted and was lifted two hours later. However, prohibitory orders under Section 144 CrPC were clamped to prevent any untoward incident.
All schools and colleges remained closed, but markets were open.
District Magistrate Susheel Kumar said that situation was under control and all damaged and burnt vehicles were removed from the roads.
Over 50 vehicles were damaged, while a fire tender and a police post were torched yesterday by students after Kapil Sharma (15), a class nine student of KN Modi college, was crushed to death by a state roadways bus.
The students also assaulted over a dozen policemen and vandalised several hospitals in the area.
A case was registered against unidentified persons, the SSP said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh