Appointment of UPSERC’s chairman quashed
New Delhi: The appointment of Utter Pradesh State Electricity Regulatory Commission`s (UPSERC) chairperson has been quashed by the Supreme Court on grounds of violation of rules in appointment.
The apex court said the appointment of Rajesh Awasthi as the UPSERC chairperson was in violation of law as he was joint president of JP Power Venture Ltd and his interest in that company would prejudicially affect his functions as the chief of the regulating body.
In concurrent but separate verdicts, a bench of justices K S Radhakrishanan and Dipak Misra said while recommending Awasthi`s name as UPSERC chairperson, the selection committee overlooked Section 85 (5) of the Electricity Act, 2003 which says that a person should not have any financial or other interests in any other company which is likely to affect prejudicially his functions as chairperson.
"We are of the view that non-compliance of sub-section (5) of Section 85 of the Act will vitiate the entire selection process since it is intended to be followed before making the recommendation to the state government," Justice Radhakrishana said.
"I conclude that there has been total non-compliance of the statutory provision by the selection committee which makes the decision making process vulnerable warranting interference by the constitutional courts," Justice Misra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister