Armed robbers assault train passengers, 12 injured
Meerut: At least 12 people were injured when unidentified armed robbers assaulted and looted passengers on train headed to New Delhi, police in this western Uttar Pradesh town said on Thursday.
The incident took place on Ambala-Nizamuddin train near Sakauti, around 20 km from the Meerut railway station. The robbers managed to escape after pulling the train`s emergency chain.
"We have registered a case against 10 unidentified men who carried firearms and other sharp-edged weapons. According to passengers, most of the armed men had their faces covered," Government Railway Police (GRP) inspector SK Rana told reporters in Meerut, about 500 km from the state capital Lucknow.
"The robbers targeted three general coaches of the train. We are yet to ascertain the exact amount of cash and other valuables looted by the robbers. However, preliminary investigations indicate it would be worth several lakhs of rupees," he added.
The train was heading to New Delhi from Ambala in Haryana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan