Army alerted as floods wreak havoc in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: The Army was alerted on Monday as floods continued to wreak havoc for the second consecutive day in Uttar Pradesh, an official said.
Hundreds of villages have been flooded in Bahraich, Shravasti, Balrampur and Lakhimpur Kheri districts. Twenty-eight people have so far died, the state government said.
The fury of Ghaghra, Rapti and Sharda rivers has aggravated after neighbouring Nepal released water.
Doctors` leave has been cancelled over fears of an epidemic outbreak due to the flood waters entering residential areas.
More than 17,000 people are staying in relief camps, an official told a news agency, adding the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has been deployed while the Army has been alerted.
Chief Secretary Alok Ranjan said 73 relief camps have been set up.
The state government has also released Rs 51 crore for relief works. It has also announced an ex-gratia of Rs 1.5 lakh each to those who have died in the floods.
The bureaucrat added Sant Kabir Nagar and Ballia areas were now vulnerable to floods.
A district official told a news agency that it was after a gap of 37 years that flood water had entered Balrampur area.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview