Army personnel to get VAT exemption on purchase of vehicles in UP
Lucknow: Army personnel will get exemption from Value Added Tax (VAT) on purchase of two- wheelers and light motor vehicles from CSD canteens in the state, official sources said here on Wednesday.
“A notification to give exemption to Army personnel on purchase of vehicles from canteens was issued by the Tax and Registration department yesterday,” they said.
As per the notification, exemption in VAT would be limited to sale of 3,000 motorcycles, scooters and mopeds and 1,200 four-wheelers every year, they said adding that serving personnel of Indian Army, other security establishments and ex-servicemen will get the benefit of tax exemption.
This tax exemption will, however, result in Rs 7.29 crore annual revenue loss to the state government, official sources said.
The notification also stated that Army personnel willing to avail tax exemption will be required to get an authority letter from the commanding officer.
Besides, an officer will not be allowed to transfer a vehicle to any person other than spouse, ward, serving or retired armyman for a period of 10 years.
This condition will be mentioned on the registration certificate of the vehicle.
At present 12.5 per cent VAT and one per cent additional tax is being charged on vehicles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report