Army recruitment applicants vandalise Gorakhpur
Gorakhpur: Thousands of unsuccessful applicants went on a rampage during an Army recruitment campaign here pelting stones at buses and stopping trains.
On the last day of the `Sena Bharti Mela` at the RPSF camp here yesterday, candidates from Mau district were tested. A total of 362 of them were selected and rest about 5,000 were found ineligible, police said.
Some of these 5,000 candidates while returning home created a ruckus at the railway platforms, bus stations and streets of the city, they said.
They travelled in autorickshaws and buses without paying the fare and also pelted stones on roadways buses, police said.
The accused looted railway vendors and stopped Durg Express, Bagh Express and Varanasi-Gorakhpur Intercity trains on Cantt Railway station in a bid to board them, railway sources said.
They stopped Shaheed Express at the Cantt railway station for hours, the sources said.
Policemen and RPF jawans controlled the mob and got the train moving. The railway is trying to identify the miscreants through CCTV footage, a railway spokesman said.
"The guilty will be punished once the identification is established," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Shravan 2016: Today is the first Somwar - Know what you need to do
- Eight dead, 20 missing in Malaysia boat accident
- Sandeep Yadav – Narsingh Yadav's roommate, also fails doping test
- KSRTC, BMTC strike begins today; two-day holiday for schools declared
- Dinosaur species may shed new light on megaraptorids