Army recruitment applicants vandalise Gorakhpur
Gorakhpur: Thousands of unsuccessful applicants went on a rampage during an Army recruitment campaign here pelting stones at buses and stopping trains.
On the last day of the `Sena Bharti Mela` at the RPSF camp here yesterday, candidates from Mau district were tested. A total of 362 of them were selected and rest about 5,000 were found ineligible, police said.
Some of these 5,000 candidates while returning home created a ruckus at the railway platforms, bus stations and streets of the city, they said.
They travelled in autorickshaws and buses without paying the fare and also pelted stones on roadways buses, police said.
The accused looted railway vendors and stopped Durg Express, Bagh Express and Varanasi-Gorakhpur Intercity trains on Cantt Railway station in a bid to board them, railway sources said.
They stopped Shaheed Express at the Cantt railway station for hours, the sources said.
Policemen and RPF jawans controlled the mob and got the train moving. The railway is trying to identify the miscreants through CCTV footage, a railway spokesman said.
"The guilty will be punished once the identification is established," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees