Army recruitment applicants vandalise Gorakhpur
Gorakhpur: Thousands of unsuccessful applicants went on a rampage during an Army recruitment campaign here pelting stones at buses and stopping trains.
On the last day of the `Sena Bharti Mela` at the RPSF camp here yesterday, candidates from Mau district were tested. A total of 362 of them were selected and rest about 5,000 were found ineligible, police said.
Some of these 5,000 candidates while returning home created a ruckus at the railway platforms, bus stations and streets of the city, they said.
They travelled in autorickshaws and buses without paying the fare and also pelted stones on roadways buses, police said.
The accused looted railway vendors and stopped Durg Express, Bagh Express and Varanasi-Gorakhpur Intercity trains on Cantt Railway station in a bid to board them, railway sources said.
They stopped Shaheed Express at the Cantt railway station for hours, the sources said.
Policemen and RPF jawans controlled the mob and got the train moving. The railway is trying to identify the miscreants through CCTV footage, a railway spokesman said.
"The guilty will be punished once the identification is established," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India