Army recruitment applicants vandalise Gorakhpur
Gorakhpur: Thousands of unsuccessful applicants went on a rampage during an Army recruitment campaign here pelting stones at buses and stopping trains.
On the last day of the `Sena Bharti Mela` at the RPSF camp here yesterday, candidates from Mau district were tested. A total of 362 of them were selected and rest about 5,000 were found ineligible, police said.
Some of these 5,000 candidates while returning home created a ruckus at the railway platforms, bus stations and streets of the city, they said.
They travelled in autorickshaws and buses without paying the fare and also pelted stones on roadways buses, police said.
The accused looted railway vendors and stopped Durg Express, Bagh Express and Varanasi-Gorakhpur Intercity trains on Cantt Railway station in a bid to board them, railway sources said.
They stopped Shaheed Express at the Cantt railway station for hours, the sources said.
Policemen and RPF jawans controlled the mob and got the train moving. The railway is trying to identify the miscreants through CCTV footage, a railway spokesman said.
"The guilty will be punished once the identification is established," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- DNA: Heroes of surgical strike receives gallantry award
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested