Asaram case: UP seer chops off genitals
Lucknow: A 60-year-old Hindu seer chopped off his genitals at Amethi in Uttar Pradesh, in an apparent protest against the alleged sexual assault on a girl by spiritual guru Asaram Bapu, police said on Thursday.
Profusely bleeding Baba Premdas was late Wednesday admitted to a medical facility in Amethi, about 140 km from Lucknow, where his condition is said to be serious.
The incident took place in Madhopur village, Amethi Superintendent of Police Alankrita Singh said.
She did not say what was the reason behind the seer`s action.
"There are many theories going around in the area. Some say this was to protest against what Asaram is alleged to have done while close associates said the seer was afraid he could be framed in a similar fashion," an investigating official said.
Doctors have referred the man to Sultanpur for plastic surgery.
- Uttarakhand forest fires: Social media terms it ‘National Emergency’, around 3000 hectares of forest area destroyed
- US, Russia in bids to halt fighting in Syria`s Aleppo
- 54 crore Indians in grip of drought: Swaraj Abhiyan
- Justice Rastogi backs CJI Thakur's appeal to increase number of judges
- Delhi-Faizabad Express derails near Hapur; 70 injured, emergency number issued