Asaram case: UP seer chops off genitals
Lucknow: A 60-year-old Hindu seer chopped off his genitals at Amethi in Uttar Pradesh, in an apparent protest against the alleged sexual assault on a girl by spiritual guru Asaram Bapu, police said on Thursday.
Profusely bleeding Baba Premdas was late Wednesday admitted to a medical facility in Amethi, about 140 km from Lucknow, where his condition is said to be serious.
The incident took place in Madhopur village, Amethi Superintendent of Police Alankrita Singh said.
She did not say what was the reason behind the seer`s action.
"There are many theories going around in the area. Some say this was to protest against what Asaram is alleged to have done while close associates said the seer was afraid he could be framed in a similar fashion," an investigating official said.
Doctors have referred the man to Sultanpur for plastic surgery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- IIT-Guwahati student develops a mobile app to monitor indoor air quality
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list