Asaram case: UP seer chops off genitals
Lucknow: A 60-year-old Hindu seer chopped off his genitals at Amethi in Uttar Pradesh, in an apparent protest against the alleged sexual assault on a girl by spiritual guru Asaram Bapu, police said on Thursday.
Profusely bleeding Baba Premdas was late Wednesday admitted to a medical facility in Amethi, about 140 km from Lucknow, where his condition is said to be serious.
The incident took place in Madhopur village, Amethi Superintendent of Police Alankrita Singh said.
She did not say what was the reason behind the seer`s action.
"There are many theories going around in the area. Some say this was to protest against what Asaram is alleged to have done while close associates said the seer was afraid he could be framed in a similar fashion," an investigating official said.
Doctors have referred the man to Sultanpur for plastic surgery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note