Aspiring teachers baton charged in Lucknow
Lucknow: Hundreds of education and physical education graduates were baton charged here on Monday after they clashed with the police and damaged vehicles to demand their appointment as primary school teachers, police said.
A large number of bachelor of education (B.Ed) and bachelor of physical education (B.P.Ed) degree holders from different parts of Uttar Pradesh assembled in this state capital and marched towards the assembly.
When prevented by the police, they turned violent. The protesters targeted government vehicles, hoardings and even vandalised a post-office.
"We resorted to force only after the B.Ed and B.P.Ed students turn unruly," Police Inspector KN Mishra told reporters here, claiming that no one was serious injured in the incident.
"The situation is still tense, but under control. Additional security has been deployed in the area," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister