Aspiring teachers baton charged in Lucknow
Lucknow: Hundreds of education and physical education graduates were baton charged here on Monday after they clashed with the police and damaged vehicles to demand their appointment as primary school teachers, police said.
A large number of bachelor of education (B.Ed) and bachelor of physical education (B.P.Ed) degree holders from different parts of Uttar Pradesh assembled in this state capital and marched towards the assembly.
When prevented by the police, they turned violent. The protesters targeted government vehicles, hoardings and even vandalised a post-office.
"We resorted to force only after the B.Ed and B.P.Ed students turn unruly," Police Inspector KN Mishra told reporters here, claiming that no one was serious injured in the incident.
"The situation is still tense, but under control. Additional security has been deployed in the area," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre