At least 116 die as flood situation worsens in UP
Lucknow: The flood situation in Uttar Pradesh has worsened following heavy rains, and officials said Wednesday that 116 people have died in the disaster in the past fortnight.
Ten districts have been severely hit by flooding. Sharda, Ghaghra and Saryu rivers are flowing above the danger mark in several districts. Heavy rains continued Wednesday in many places.
People and livestock are being evacuated from the flooded areas and several companies of the Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) have been pressed into service, officials said.
The situation remains grim in Lakhimpur Kheri and Siddharthnagar where flood waters have inundated vast areas.
According to the flood control center, the Ghagra is flowing two metres above the danger mark at Algin bridge in Barabanki, neighbouring the state capital Lucknow. Thousands of people have been displaced.
The Saryu river has breached the danger mark in Ballia and Ayodhya and has wrecked havoc in Basti, Gonda and Sant Kabeernagar.
Since Tuesday, four people died due to heavy rains and lightning.
According to the relief commissioner`s office, the Sharda river has breached the danger mark in Lakhimpur. The strong flow of the river has turned several hectares of agriculture land into swamps.
The maximum rains since Tuesday was recorded in Bahraich (89.2 mm), Kushinagar (80.8mm) and Gorakhpur (68.4 mm) followed by Maharajganj (60.4 mm) and Siddharthanagar (55.4 mm).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today