At least 152 killed in UP floods, five lakh displaced
Lucknow: The death toll in the flood fury in Uttar Pradesh climbed up to 152 Monday as most rivers continued to flow over the danger mark and heavy rains added to people`s woes.
Over five lakh people have been displaced.
However, the government is yet help villagers who have been deprived of their livelihood due to waters claiming their lands.
Ten rivers in the state - Sharda, Ghaghra, Ramganga, Ganga, Yamuna, Betwa, Kain, Gomti, Sai and Saryu - are in spate and have devastate large areas.
The Gomti river has flooded many villages in Sitapur, Lucknow and Sultanpur, while the Sai river has wreaked havoc in parts of Lucknow and Rae Bareilly. Ghaghra and Saryu river waters have gushed into villages in Barabanki, Faizabad, Gorakhpur, Basti, Kushinagar, Bahraich, Gonda and Shravasti.
Officials put the number of cattle deaths at 478 and said that several acres of agricultural land in 15 districts has been inundated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi