At least 25 injured as shop catches fire in UP
Lucknow: Twenty-five people received burn injuries when a massive fire broke out in a commercial establishment where kerosene and diesel were being sold illegally in Uttar Pradesh`s Bahraich town, police said Thursday.
The fire late Wednesday engulfed the building material shop in Nanpara, where drums of petrol, kerosene and diesel were stored illegally.
"All the 25 people who received burns are being treated at a community health centre and the district hospital. The condition of 15 is stated to be serious," police inspector S.R. Suman told reporters Thursday in Bahraich, some 130 km from Lucknow.
"The injured include employees of the shop and other locals who initially tried to douse the fire before the arrival of firefighting officials," he added.
According to police, the shop belongs to one Yonus, who is absconding after the incident.
"Investigations reveal besides supplying construction material like cement, iron bars and other items, Yonus was illegally selling diesel, kerosene oil and petrol. Four drums of oil were there at the time of the incident," he added.
Police said a candle that was lit by some employees at the shop caused the fire when it came in contact with an oil drum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!