At least 25 injured as shop catches fire in UP
Lucknow: Twenty-five people received burn injuries when a massive fire broke out in a commercial establishment where kerosene and diesel were being sold illegally in Uttar Pradesh`s Bahraich town, police said Thursday.
The fire late Wednesday engulfed the building material shop in Nanpara, where drums of petrol, kerosene and diesel were stored illegally.
"All the 25 people who received burns are being treated at a community health centre and the district hospital. The condition of 15 is stated to be serious," police inspector S.R. Suman told reporters Thursday in Bahraich, some 130 km from Lucknow.
"The injured include employees of the shop and other locals who initially tried to douse the fire before the arrival of firefighting officials," he added.
According to police, the shop belongs to one Yonus, who is absconding after the incident.
"Investigations reveal besides supplying construction material like cement, iron bars and other items, Yonus was illegally selling diesel, kerosene oil and petrol. Four drums of oil were there at the time of the incident," he added.
Police said a candle that was lit by some employees at the shop caused the fire when it came in contact with an oil drum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened