At least 25 injured as shop catches fire in UP
Lucknow: Twenty-five people received burn injuries when a massive fire broke out in a commercial establishment where kerosene and diesel were being sold illegally in Uttar Pradesh`s Bahraich town, police said Thursday.
The fire late Wednesday engulfed the building material shop in Nanpara, where drums of petrol, kerosene and diesel were stored illegally.
"All the 25 people who received burns are being treated at a community health centre and the district hospital. The condition of 15 is stated to be serious," police inspector S.R. Suman told reporters Thursday in Bahraich, some 130 km from Lucknow.
"The injured include employees of the shop and other locals who initially tried to douse the fire before the arrival of firefighting officials," he added.
According to police, the shop belongs to one Yonus, who is absconding after the incident.
"Investigations reveal besides supplying construction material like cement, iron bars and other items, Yonus was illegally selling diesel, kerosene oil and petrol. Four drums of oil were there at the time of the incident," he added.
Police said a candle that was lit by some employees at the shop caused the fire when it came in contact with an oil drum.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India