At least nine killed in fresh violence in Muzaffarnagar, Army deployed
Muzaffarnagar/Lucknow: At least nine persons, including a TV channel journalist, were killed and 34 injured on Saturday as fresh violence between members of two communities erupted in Muzaffarnagar, after which indefinite curfew was imposed and the army deployed to help maintain law and order.
Tension running high since three persons were killed in Kawal village on August 27 today burst into clashes in several parts of the district.
A TV channel`s part-time correspondent Rajesh Verma and a photographer hired by police, Israr, were among those killed in the violence.
Nine persons were killed--two in Muzaffarnagar town, three each in Bhopa police station area and Shapur area and one in Sikhera police station area, District Magistrate Kaushal Raj Sharma said.
Curfew was imposed in Civil lines, Kotwali and Nai Mandi of Muzaffarnagar town. Officials in the district said at least 34 people were injured.
Late tonight, a Home Department spokesman said in Lucknow that army personnel have been deployed in the riot-hit areas of the district to help the civil authorities maintain law and order.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog