Attack on police team: Six to be booked under Gangster Act
Muzaffarnagar: Six persons arrested for attacking police officials to free alleged members of the sand mafia will be booked under the Gangsters and Anti-Social Activities (Prevention) Act, police said today.
Shamli Superintendent of Police Abdul Hameed said the accused -- Islam, Sazim, Anwer, Israeel, Nazim and Vikky -- attacked the police team with sticks and stones to free three alleged members of the sand mafia.
At least five policemen were injured in the attack that took place at Chotra village in the district on May 15.
A mob had cornered police to ensure the release of the three and even tried to crush some officials under a tractor. They also looted three police vehicles and an AK-47 rifle, which were later recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren