Attack on police team: Six to be booked under Gangster Act
Muzaffarnagar: Six persons arrested for attacking police officials to free alleged members of the sand mafia will be booked under the Gangsters and Anti-Social Activities (Prevention) Act, police said today.
Shamli Superintendent of Police Abdul Hameed said the accused -- Islam, Sazim, Anwer, Israeel, Nazim and Vikky -- attacked the police team with sticks and stones to free three alleged members of the sand mafia.
At least five policemen were injured in the attack that took place at Chotra village in the district on May 15.
A mob had cornered police to ensure the release of the three and even tried to crush some officials under a tractor. They also looted three police vehicles and an AK-47 rifle, which were later recovered.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez