Attack on rape victim: UP women commission raps local police
Pratapgarh: A day after kin of a rape accused tried to chop off the teenage victim`s tongue, chairman of Uttar Pradesh state women commission (UPSWC) on Friday blamed local police`s "lackadaisical" attitude for the incident.
After meeting the girl, chairman Zarina Usmani blamed local police for the incident saying that had they adopted seriousness in providing security to the girl, the incident would not have happened.
She also said that police have been directed to invoke NSA against the accused.
"Police`s lackadaisical attitude was responsible for the incident...They (police) knew the girl is a rape victim and has to give statement in the court against the accused...They should have adopted seriousness on the issue," she told reporters.
Usmani, who reached the district hospital here, directed the Chief Medical officer (CMO) to transfer the girl in private ward and provide best possible facilities to her.
"The government is serious on crime against women. We have directed the district administration to invoke NSA on the accused," she said.
Three persons, including brother of the rape accused, had tried to chop off tongue of the girl in Jethwara area here yesterday.
The girl, who was raped on January 22, sustained injury in her tongue in the incident, IG Law and Order RK Vishwakarma said, adding that she had to give a statement in the court on July 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- India Red vs India Green: Bowlers dominate first day of Duleep Trophy tie
- Hillary Clinton holds lead over Donald Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- Sensitive data on India's Scorpene submarines leaked
- Second US service member killed in Afghanistan in 2016
- 8 out of 10 French do not want Nicolas Sarkozy back