Attack on rape victim: UP women commission raps local police
Pratapgarh: A day after kin of a rape accused tried to chop off the teenage victim`s tongue, chairman of Uttar Pradesh state women commission (UPSWC) on Friday blamed local police`s "lackadaisical" attitude for the incident.
After meeting the girl, chairman Zarina Usmani blamed local police for the incident saying that had they adopted seriousness in providing security to the girl, the incident would not have happened.
She also said that police have been directed to invoke NSA against the accused.
"Police`s lackadaisical attitude was responsible for the incident...They (police) knew the girl is a rape victim and has to give statement in the court against the accused...They should have adopted seriousness on the issue," she told reporters.
Usmani, who reached the district hospital here, directed the Chief Medical officer (CMO) to transfer the girl in private ward and provide best possible facilities to her.
"The government is serious on crime against women. We have directed the district administration to invoke NSA on the accused," she said.
Three persons, including brother of the rape accused, had tried to chop off tongue of the girl in Jethwara area here yesterday.
The girl, who was raped on January 22, sustained injury in her tongue in the incident, IG Law and Order RK Vishwakarma said, adding that she had to give a statement in the court on July 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen