Attack on rape victim: UP women commission raps local police
Pratapgarh: A day after kin of a rape accused tried to chop off the teenage victim`s tongue, chairman of Uttar Pradesh state women commission (UPSWC) on Friday blamed local police`s "lackadaisical" attitude for the incident.
After meeting the girl, chairman Zarina Usmani blamed local police for the incident saying that had they adopted seriousness in providing security to the girl, the incident would not have happened.
She also said that police have been directed to invoke NSA against the accused.
"Police`s lackadaisical attitude was responsible for the incident...They (police) knew the girl is a rape victim and has to give statement in the court against the accused...They should have adopted seriousness on the issue," she told reporters.
Usmani, who reached the district hospital here, directed the Chief Medical officer (CMO) to transfer the girl in private ward and provide best possible facilities to her.
"The government is serious on crime against women. We have directed the district administration to invoke NSA on the accused," she said.
Three persons, including brother of the rape accused, had tried to chop off tongue of the girl in Jethwara area here yesterday.
The girl, who was raped on January 22, sustained injury in her tongue in the incident, IG Law and Order RK Vishwakarma said, adding that she had to give a statement in the court on July 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police