Attack on reporter: Journalists demand CBI probe against Shahi Imam
Lucknow: Journalists in Uttar Pradesh on Friday
demanded a CBI probe into the attack on a local reporter
allegedly by the supporters of Delhi Jama Masjid Shahi Imam
Syed Ahmad Bukhari.
"We have given a memorandum to the Chief Minister
Mayawati asking her to recommend a CBI probe into the matter.
The guilty should be brought to book to check such incidents
in future", Uttar Pradesh Accredited Correspondent Committee
(UPACC) Secretary Hemant Tiwari said.
When asked if a CBI probe into the incident was
necessary, Tiwari said the attack on the journalist was part
of a big conspiracy by people out to vitiate the atmosphere of
communal amity the state.
"The people of the state have given a message of peace
and harmony after the Ayodhay title suit judgement. The media
played a constructive role in it. People like Bukhari could
not digest the situation", he said.
Mohd Abdul Waheed Chisti, a reporter with a local Urdu
daily, was allegedly thrashed by the supporters of the Shahi
Imam at a press conference here yesterday when he asked the
cleric to spell out his stand on the mention of King
Dashrath`s name in the land records of 1528 before the Babri
mosque was constructed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?