Auction: Gandhian upset over no response from PM
Kanpur: Noted Gandhian writer and Padmashree
awardee Giriraj Kishore, who had written to Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh seeking a stop to auction of soil and other
stuff stained with Mahatma Gandhi`s blood in United Kingdom,
has expressed anguish over not getting any response from him.
The upset Gandhian, who had written to the PM on April
10, has now approached the President, seeking her intervention
into the issue.
In his letter to President Pratibha Patil, Kishore has
threatened to return his Padmashree if steps were not
initiated immediately in this regard.
"I was forced to approach the President after not getting
any reply from the PM in the past 10 days. I have requested
her to take my Padmashree award back if the government fails
to stop auction of things related to Gandhiji," Kishore said.
He also vowed to start a `satyagraha` to press for his
The Gandhian was conferred with Padma Shree in 2007 for
his notable work in the field of literature and education. He
had chronicled Gandhiji`s struggles in South Africa in his
book `Pahla Girmitiya (The First Indentured Labour)`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days