Auction: Gandhian upset over no response from PM
Kanpur: Noted Gandhian writer and Padmashree
awardee Giriraj Kishore, who had written to Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh seeking a stop to auction of soil and other
stuff stained with Mahatma Gandhi`s blood in United Kingdom,
has expressed anguish over not getting any response from him.
The upset Gandhian, who had written to the PM on April
10, has now approached the President, seeking her intervention
into the issue.
In his letter to President Pratibha Patil, Kishore has
threatened to return his Padmashree if steps were not
initiated immediately in this regard.
"I was forced to approach the President after not getting
any reply from the PM in the past 10 days. I have requested
her to take my Padmashree award back if the government fails
to stop auction of things related to Gandhiji," Kishore said.
He also vowed to start a `satyagraha` to press for his
The Gandhian was conferred with Padma Shree in 2007 for
his notable work in the field of literature and education. He
had chronicled Gandhiji`s struggles in South Africa in his
book `Pahla Girmitiya (The First Indentured Labour)`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof