Averted Northern Grid failure today: UP
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government on Monday said the state has averted the failure of the Northern Grid, as electricity supplies were timely cut to certain districts.
"We timely succeeded in averting grid failure by cutting power supply to some districts," Principal Secretary Energy AK Gupta told reporters.
The Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Ltd (UPPCL) averted the failure this morning, at around 1000 hrs, when the grid frequency dropped to around 48.8, he said.
The frequency -- generally referred to as the intensity at which electricity is supplied -- is to be normally in the range of 49.7 to 50.2.
According to Gupta, the incident took place even as Uttar Pradesh was under-drawing 588 MW electricity.
He said the situation developed probably due to shut down of three power plants in Himachal Pradesh that resulted in supply shortage of around 3,000 MW.
However, further details were not provided.
Gupta also said that timely action by the UPPCL was appreciated by officials of Power Grid Corp.
The incident comes within three weeks after the Northern Grid tripped for two straight days on July 30 and July 31.
One of the largest grids, it covers nine regions -- Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Himachal Pradesh, J&K and Chandigarh.
India has five electricity grids -- Northern, Eastern, North Eastern, Southern and Western. All of them are inter- connected, except the Southern grid.
All the grids are being run by the state-owned Power Grid Corporation, which operates more than 95,000 circuit km of transmission lines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues