‘Aviation sector needs to be developed in UP’
Lucknow: Union Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh on Saturday emphasised on the need of development of aviation sector in Uttar Pradesh.
"In UP, which has 16.1 per cent population of the country, only two per cent of total flights operate and only 2.5 per cent people fly. This situation needs to be improved," Singh said after inaugurating the newly constructed integrated terminal at Chaudhary Charan Singh airport here.
The minister said UP has only two customs airport at Lucknow and Varansi and they would be given status of international airports soon.
He said there was a proposal of maintenance, overhaul and repair facility in UP, which could attract an investment of USD 200 to 300 million.
Emphasising on better connectivity, he said small planes should be introduced so that people from Azamgarh and tier II and tier III cities could be connected with international flights via Lucknow.
"This could increase international traffic...If progress has to be made in this sector (aviation) or even industries are to be set up, land is required," he said.
Good compensation to the farmers would be ensured in which the ministry will also have to assist, he said, adding, the method of land acquisition by the government needs to be changed.
UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav assured of all possible help, and said the state would be connected with international destinations as well as other cities.
On proposal to set up a National Aviation University in UP, the chief minister said that the state had already said that whatever scheme Centre brings cooperation would be given.
"The government has already given land for AIIMS and two-three more are proposed then it is ready to give land as it will benefit the people," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal