‘Aviation sector needs to be developed in UP’
Lucknow: Union Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh on Saturday emphasised on the need of development of aviation sector in Uttar Pradesh.
"In UP, which has 16.1 per cent population of the country, only two per cent of total flights operate and only 2.5 per cent people fly. This situation needs to be improved," Singh said after inaugurating the newly constructed integrated terminal at Chaudhary Charan Singh airport here.
The minister said UP has only two customs airport at Lucknow and Varansi and they would be given status of international airports soon.
He said there was a proposal of maintenance, overhaul and repair facility in UP, which could attract an investment of USD 200 to 300 million.
Emphasising on better connectivity, he said small planes should be introduced so that people from Azamgarh and tier II and tier III cities could be connected with international flights via Lucknow.
"This could increase international traffic...If progress has to be made in this sector (aviation) or even industries are to be set up, land is required," he said.
Good compensation to the farmers would be ensured in which the ministry will also have to assist, he said, adding, the method of land acquisition by the government needs to be changed.
UP Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav assured of all possible help, and said the state would be connected with international destinations as well as other cities.
On proposal to set up a National Aviation University in UP, the chief minister said that the state had already said that whatever scheme Centre brings cooperation would be given.
"The government has already given land for AIIMS and two-three more are proposed then it is ready to give land as it will benefit the people," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional