Ayodhya case: Non-bailable warrant against SP MP, Sena MLA
Lucknow: A special CBI court here, hearing the Babri Masjid demolition case on Monday issued non-bailable warrants against Samajwadi Party MP Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh and former Shiv Sena MLA Pawan Pandey after they failed to appear before it.
Special Judge (CBI) Lucknow Shashimouli Tiwari passed the order and fixed December 22 as next date of hearing.
The process of the recording of evidence of witnesses is going on in the court, but both the accused, Singh and Pandey, were not present neither any counsel appeared on their behalf.
Singh, SP MP from Kaiserganj constituency, is an accused in Babri Masjid demolition case.
He was BJP MP from Gonda constituency at the time of razing down of the medieval monument and remained close to senior BJP leader LK Advani and VHP leader Ashok Singhal during their campaign for Ram Janam Bhumi in Ayodhya.
Singh has been declared as SP candidate for 2014 Lok Sabha polls from Kaiserganj by the party.
The special judge also issued warrant against former Sena legislator from Akbarpur constituency of Faizabad, Pawan Pandey on the same ground.
On December 12, 1992, the CBI took over the investigation and on October 5, next year, it filed charge sheets in the two cases against 40 people, including Advani, before a Lucknow court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi