Ayodhya, Faizabad turn fortresses ahead of verdict
Ayodhya: The twin towns of Ayodhya and Faizabad have been turned into virtual fortresses with around 20,000 security personnel standing guard to ensure there is no trouble ahead of a court verdict, due Friday, on the Babri Masjid-Ramjanmabhoomi dispute, officials said.
"Security personnel of paramilitary forces, the Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) and other agencies are keeping round-the-clock vigil," district police chief R.S. Rathore told reporters.
"Security checks have been intensified at all the entry points of Ayodhya. We have been specially instructed to deal with anti-social elements and rumour mongers with an iron fist," he added.
He said the situation in Faizabad, about 150 km from the state capital Lucknow, was "entirely peaceful".
The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court is scheduled to deliver its much expected judgment Friday on the title suit in Ramjanmabhoomi-Babri Masjid dispute, which has been hanging fire for about six decades. The dispute over the site is an emotive issue and authorities as well as people fear breach of peace and order by hotheads.
Officials added that Ayodhya and Faizabad have been divided into 17 security zones and 45 sub-sectors with nearly 60 magistrates monitoring security arrangements.
The educational institutions, including the Lucknow University (LU) and many degree colleges in the state capital, have decided to suspend teaching Sep 24 and 25 in the wake of the much-awaited judgment.
However, the district administration here has not issued any order for the closure of schools, colleges or other educational institutions, clarified an official.
"Taking into account the peaceful atmosphere in Faizabad, we have not issued any order for closing educational institutes. It is being wrongly reported by some mediapersons that schools/colleges have been closed ahead of the verdict," Faizabad District Magistrate M.P. Agarwal said over the phone.
According to senior officials, the state government has left it to the district administrations to decide whether education institutions should be opened or not ahead of the Ayodhya judgment.
The 16th century Babri Masjid was demolished Dec 6, 1992, by Hindu radicals who believed that it was built on the birthplace of Lord Ram. The demolition had triggered nationwide riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh