Ayodhya verdict judge knocks SC doors for justice
New Delhi: Justice (retd) Dharam Vir Sharma,
who was a member of the three-judge Allahabad High Court bench
which delivered the landmark Ayodhya verdict on September 30,
2010, has knocked the Supreme Court doors after being denied a
seat in the National Green Tribunal.
A bench of justices DK Jain and AR Dave, before whom
the matter was listed today, however, recused itself from the
matter and directed that it be listed before another bench.
According to Justice Sharma, the high-powered selection
panel which picks both judicial and non-judicial members for
the 20-member body failed to appoint him despite being
selected in June this year in the categories earmarked for
The minimum eligibility criteria for judicial members
is that the incumbent should be a judge of a high court,
according to his counsel Subodh Patil.
The National Green Tribunal (NGT), a judicial body aimed
at expediting environment-related cases, began functioning
from April this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!