Ayodhya yatra: 1,087 released, 1,787 still in jail
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh police have so far released as many as 1,087 people, including senior VHP leaders, of a total of 2,674 who were arrested in connection with the Ayodhya yatra.
Of the people arrested in connection with the VHP`s Chaurasi Kosi Parikrama yatra, "1,587 are still in jail," IG (Law and Order) RK Vishkarma said here on Tuesday.
No untoward incident reported from any part of the state and in Ayodhya too there was complete peace, Vishkarma said, adding no protest demonstration was reported on the day.
The official, however, said there had been no let up in security arrangements in Ayodhya and elsewhere.
The deployment of Central Para Military Force would continue till September 13.
The official said in view of Janmashthami tomorrow, security has been beefed up in Mathura.
In Amethi, Peethdheshwar Mauni Mahraj of Sri Paramhans ashram was placed under house arrest this morning, when he tried to leave for Ayodhya along with his followers.
Mauni Mahraj and about 500 others had been placed under house arrest in his Gauriganj ashram, Vishkarma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why