Ayodhya yatra: 1,087 released, 1,787 still in jail
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh police have so far released as many as 1,087 people, including senior VHP leaders, of a total of 2,674 who were arrested in connection with the Ayodhya yatra.
Of the people arrested in connection with the VHP`s Chaurasi Kosi Parikrama yatra, "1,587 are still in jail," IG (Law and Order) RK Vishkarma said here on Tuesday.
No untoward incident reported from any part of the state and in Ayodhya too there was complete peace, Vishkarma said, adding no protest demonstration was reported on the day.
The official, however, said there had been no let up in security arrangements in Ayodhya and elsewhere.
The deployment of Central Para Military Force would continue till September 13.
The official said in view of Janmashthami tomorrow, security has been beefed up in Mathura.
In Amethi, Peethdheshwar Mauni Mahraj of Sri Paramhans ashram was placed under house arrest this morning, when he tried to leave for Ayodhya along with his followers.
Mauni Mahraj and about 500 others had been placed under house arrest in his Gauriganj ashram, Vishkarma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof