Ayodhya Yatra: BJP attacks UP government over arrests
New Delhi: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Sunday slammed the Uttar Pradesh government for arresting VHP leaders ahead of a religious event.
BJP spokesman Bizay Sonkar Shastri said the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) activists and religious leaders wanted to carry out the "84 kosi parikrama yatra" and it was their fundamental right to do so.
"The Samajwadi Party government wants to give out a message that it is a messiah of Muslims," Shastri said.
He said the decision to ban the yatra and arrest VHP leaders had created needless tension in Uttar Pradesh.
The VHP leadership was arrested on Sunday in the temple town of Ayodhya in Uttar Pradesh as they tried to proceed for "Saryu Pujan", ahead of the "84 kosi parikrama yatra".
The government had earlier banned the yatra, set to begin from the banks of Saryu river.
The VHP had said the yatra would pass through Barabanki, Faizabad, Ambedkar Nagar, Gonda, Basti and Bahraich districts.
The Aug 25-Sep 13 yatra seeks to seek a grand Ram temple at the site of the razed Babri mosque in Ayodhya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack