Ayodhya yatra: SP trying to divide UP on religious lines, says BSP
New Delhi/ Lucknow: The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) on Sunday criticized the Akhilesh Yadav-led Uttar Pradesh Government’s decision to oppose the Vishwa Hindu Parishad’s ‘Chaurasi Kosi Parikrama Yatra’ around Ayodhya, and said that the ruling Samajwadi Party (SP) is trying to create an atmosphere to divide the society on religious lines.
BSP leader Sudhindra Bhadoria said that the proposed yatra was a strategy of the ruling Uttar Pradesh Government to disrupt peace in the society.
“An atmosphere to divide the society on religious lines is being created in Uttar Pradesh. But the people of Uttar Pradesh and the rest of the country are alert and they know all about the drama,” Bhadoria told media in New Delhi.
“The government is trying to fool the people, as one party is adamant on taking out the rally while the other is bent on thwarting it. It seems a joint conspiracy of the two,” Bhandoria added.
Meanwhile, Samajwadi Party leader Rajendra Chaudhary defended the state government’s stand to oppose the yatra, and said that his party would not let Uttar Pradesh witness the communal riots, which took place in Gujarat in 2002.
"We will not let Uttar Pradesh become Gujarat. There is no place for communalism in our state. It is a decent state and we will never let communalism to play its game here. Mulayam Singh will never let the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) succeed in its designs,” Chaudhary said in Lucknow.
Earlier in the day, VHP President Ashok Singhal and senior leader Praveen Togadia were detained by the police, along with 500 activists across Uttar Pradesh.
Togadia was arrested when he defied prohibitory orders in Ayodhya and attempted to conduct prayers on the banks of the Saryu river, after the Uttar Pradesh government had banned the yatra, while Singhal was detained at the Lucknow airport.
Prominent among those arrested by the state police include Savitri Bai Phule, VHP`s provincial coordinator Acharya Kushmuni and Mahant Santosh Das alias Sathu Baba, a VHP office bearer in Varanasi while prominent VHP leader Mahant Ram Saran Das was held at Ram Sanehi Ghat in Ayodhya.
The Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High Court on Saturday dismissed a plea for allowing 84-Kosi parikrama yatra, stating that there is a possibility of tension, and added that the restriction will be maintained.
The Vishwa Hindu Parishad had vowed to kick off its `Chaurasi Kosi Parikrama` around Ayodhya to revive its demand for a Ram temple.
The Samajwadi Party Government has banned the proposed Yatra, as a preemptive measure against communal flare-up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon