Ayodhya yatra: VHP leader Chinmayanand placed under house arrest
Bareilly (UP): Former Union minister and convener of 84-Kosi Parikrama, Swami Chinmayanand, was placed under house arrest in an ashram in neighbouring Shahjahanpur district on Sunday.
Though the district officials maintained a silence over the matter, five sub-inspectors of police and 12 constables had been posted in Mumuksh ashram since early this morning and he was not being allowed to move out, sources said.
When contacted, Chinmayanand said, security forces posted there were even accompanying him on his morning walk and there were restrictions on his movement.
"There is complete jungleraj in Uttar Pradesh. Criminals are moving around freely, while vigil was being maintained on respected people," he alleged.
Speaking to journalists last night, Chinmayanand accused the Samajwadi Party government of dividing the state on communal lines for vote bank politics.
Till August 17, the state government was ready for the yatra but it bowed before one of its ministers (Azam Khan), he claimed, adding, had there been any problem in it Mulayam Singh would have let him know during the over two-hour meeting with VHP leaders.
The government`s decision had caused immense anger among sadhus and Hindu samaj, he added.
The yatra, which was to remain confined to six districts of Uttar Pradesh, has today become a national affair because of the ban, he said, adding that SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav had stated that no sadhus or saints would be allowed to take part in the yatra.
"He (Mulayam) had made similar utterance in 1990 and saints and Hindu samaj gave a befitting reply to it then," he said.
Chinmayanand said that the decision to take out the yatra was taken during the Kumbh Mela earlier this year and is not something which has emerged out of the blue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- BJP made Dayashankar Singh use foul language against me; SP also involved in conspiracy, alleges Mayawati
- New compound may help fight epilepsy
- 'Jethalal' promotes Varun Dhawan starrer 'Dishoom' by flaunting his unique swag! Watch video
- BIZARRE! Panchayat slaps Rs 5 lakh fine on Haryana school after Eid celebration
- Twinkle Khanna slams Naseeruddin Shah online! - Know why