Azam Khan courts arrest during state-wide stir against BSP
Rampur: SP MLA from Rampur Mohammad Azam
Khan Tuesday courted arrest along with several party workers
here as part of the state-wide stir against "corruption and
atrocities" by the BSP government.
"I and 1,500 party workers walked our way to the jail
under the shadow of firearms as there were no arrangements
made for the police vans. This underlines the fact that there
is a complete breakdown of the Constitution in Uttar Pradesh,"
Khan said on phone from a temporary erected jail in
The Rampur MLA said that he "defused" the volatile
situation to prevent any "untoward" incident from taking
place during the agitation as police officers on duty
attempted to create chaos and could resort to firing and
lathicharge, he added.
"Mayawati is a dictator like Gaddafi and Saddam
Hussain and like them would have no place in the history," he
Khan alleged the chief minister ordered the police to
use ladders so as to "force" their way into the houses of the
SP leaders and activists in the night hours.
According to police, over 3,000 SP workers, including
the Leader of Opposition Shivpal Singh Yadav, six MPs and 17
MLAs, were yesterday arrested across Uttar Pradesh
on the first day the `BSP hatao, UP bachao`(remove the BSP
government and save the state) agitation against alleged
corruption and atrocities of the state government.
The SP, however, claimed that more than one lakh
party workers were arrested across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir