Azam Khan courts arrest during state-wide stir against BSP
Rampur: SP MLA from Rampur Mohammad Azam
Khan Tuesday courted arrest along with several party workers
here as part of the state-wide stir against "corruption and
atrocities" by the BSP government.
"I and 1,500 party workers walked our way to the jail
under the shadow of firearms as there were no arrangements
made for the police vans. This underlines the fact that there
is a complete breakdown of the Constitution in Uttar Pradesh,"
Khan said on phone from a temporary erected jail in
The Rampur MLA said that he "defused" the volatile
situation to prevent any "untoward" incident from taking
place during the agitation as police officers on duty
attempted to create chaos and could resort to firing and
lathicharge, he added.
"Mayawati is a dictator like Gaddafi and Saddam
Hussain and like them would have no place in the history," he
Khan alleged the chief minister ordered the police to
use ladders so as to "force" their way into the houses of the
SP leaders and activists in the night hours.
According to police, over 3,000 SP workers, including
the Leader of Opposition Shivpal Singh Yadav, six MPs and 17
MLAs, were yesterday arrested across Uttar Pradesh
on the first day the `BSP hatao, UP bachao`(remove the BSP
government and save the state) agitation against alleged
corruption and atrocities of the state government.
The SP, however, claimed that more than one lakh
party workers were arrested across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth