Azam Khan courts arrest during state-wide stir against BSP
Rampur: SP MLA from Rampur Mohammad Azam
Khan Tuesday courted arrest along with several party workers
here as part of the state-wide stir against "corruption and
atrocities" by the BSP government.
"I and 1,500 party workers walked our way to the jail
under the shadow of firearms as there were no arrangements
made for the police vans. This underlines the fact that there
is a complete breakdown of the Constitution in Uttar Pradesh,"
Khan said on phone from a temporary erected jail in
The Rampur MLA said that he "defused" the volatile
situation to prevent any "untoward" incident from taking
place during the agitation as police officers on duty
attempted to create chaos and could resort to firing and
lathicharge, he added.
"Mayawati is a dictator like Gaddafi and Saddam
Hussain and like them would have no place in the history," he
Khan alleged the chief minister ordered the police to
use ladders so as to "force" their way into the houses of the
SP leaders and activists in the night hours.
According to police, over 3,000 SP workers, including
the Leader of Opposition Shivpal Singh Yadav, six MPs and 17
MLAs, were yesterday arrested across Uttar Pradesh
on the first day the `BSP hatao, UP bachao`(remove the BSP
government and save the state) agitation against alleged
corruption and atrocities of the state government.
The SP, however, claimed that more than one lakh
party workers were arrested across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon